Magento is surely a shopping cart platform comes with a lot of features out of the box.Like any other opensource CMS’s, it also allows us to install extensions to extend its functionality.To install an extension, first you should visit magento-connect
What is Magento Connect
Magento Connect is a marketplace that allows Magento community members and partners to share their open source or commercial contributions for Magento with the community.Both free and paid extensions are available.
How to install an extension
- Search for the extension that you are looking for and go to extension profile.
- Make sure the extension is compatible with your magento version
- Under the release notes,check the Stability of the extension(alpha,beta,stable)
- Click Install Now
- Select the correct Channel(Magento connect channel 1.0 for Magento versions 1.4.x & older,Magento connect channel 2.0 for Magento versions 1.5+)
- Grab the correct key
- Go to your Magento Admin->System->Magento Connect->Magento Connect Manager.Login with admin username & password
- Click Settings tab and set the preferred state
- Paste the extension key in “paste extension key to install” field and click install.Click proceed to install extension
The console at the bottom shows the result of the installation.Once installed return to the admin to use the extension.