ntil recently I considered the Magento mostly as a “read-only” community. Especially when I started with my first Magento projects there wasn’t much information around. Every now and then Varien (later then Magento Inc.) published a new version. I checked what was new, tested our projects with it and used that version from then on. If we encountered some bugs we digged into the code. Usually spent lots of hours and energy to spot the bug and fix it, contact Magento support, waited a couple of days and got the answer, that this is a known bug. Usually their response contained an official “patch” that in most cases was very similar to how we’ve fixed that.
Almost every time I asked myself, how we could actually be the first ones stumbling over this issue. And Magento support proved: We weren’t.