A couple of days ago i’ve finished my first template for Magento. It is new e-commerce platform with a lot of features. But it takes time to learn how it is working. So here is a couple of advices for whose who will work on creating a template for Magento.
I assume that you use fresh install of Magento.
- To start you need to create two dirs. Basicly you can just copy them from default theme.
- copy /app/design/frontend/default/default to /app/design/frontend/default/your_theme (contain layout and html files)
- copy /skin/frontend/default/default to /skin/frontend/default/your_theme ( contain pics, css, js )
- To assign theme to a store
- go to System -> Configuration -> Design tab
- choose website or store-view level
- in Current package name, enter the name of the interface in which your new theme resides ( i.e. default)
- in Default (under Themes heading), enter the name of the new theme ( i.e. your_theme )